Towers, Spirituality, Crafts and Good WineThe Oltrarno Tour will introduce you to the left bank of the Arno river, which is the most typical and genuine part of Florence, where many craftsmen still have their shops today. We will walk along the narrow streets near the Ponte Vecchio and look up at the medieval towers that once crowded the city.
A short walk and we arrive at Santa Felicita Church, one of the hidden treasures of Florence. Since we are in the district of the Holy Spirit (Santo Spirito), we can’t miss the Augustinian Church of Santo Spirito, last creation of the Renaissance Maestro Filippo Brunelleschi. To appreciate better the real essence of this “other Florence,” we will drink a toast to the beautiful day we have spent together!For more information or to book, email Whitney.
Duration: 2.5 Hours
Cost: 27€ / person (for a minimum of 6 people - for larger or smaller groups, contact us for special prices!)
Includes: Official tour guide, glass of wine (or soft drink) and snacks
Start time: 9:30 am
Meeting Point: Piazza Santa Trinita, near the obelisk
When: Everyday, except Sunday
What we see: Ponte Vecchio, Medieval towers, Borgo San Iacopo, Santa Felicita (interior), Santo
Description of the tour:
Borgo San Iacopo. In the Middle Ages, especially during the wars between the Guelfi and
the Ghibellini (Pope’s party and Emperor’s party), about a hundred towers were built by the
richest families in the city as a protection from their enemies. Many of the towers are still
present today and will help us to jump back in the past around 1300.
Santa Felicita Church. In the 2nd century, the Greek Syrian merchants settled south of the
Arno and brought with them their Christian religion. The first church in this area was built
around the 4th century and dedicated to Saint Felicita from Rome. Another church was built
in the 11th century, whereas the existing one dates back to the years 1736 and 1739. In the
Capponi Chapel we found The Deposition from the Cross, the masterpiece by Pontormo.
Santo Spirito. The church was constructed over the ruins of an Augustinian convent from
the 13th century, destroyed by a fire. Filippo Brunelleschi designed the project for the new
building around 1428. After his death in 1446, the works were carried on by his fellows. The
church has 38 magnificent side chapels, which contain a noteworthy amount of artworks
(don’t be afraid: we will just see a couple of them!). Michelangelo, when he was seventeen
years old, could make anatomical studies on the corpses coming from the convent’s hospital;
in exchange, he sculpted a wooden crucifix which was placed over the main altar. Today
the crucifix is still here, in the octagonal sacristy.
For more information or to book, email Whitney.