Codice FiscaleHow to get a "Tax Code," and why you need one.
During your stay in Florence, you will probably have to get a Codice Fiscale, something like a social security number, even though you may not be subject to Italian taxes. It's free and fairly easy to obtain.
You'll need a Codice Fiscale for things like:
A) opening a bank or postal account
B) buying a Vespa (and every other motor vehicle..) in Italy
C) registering a vehicle in Italy
D) signing a lease for a flat (if the lease is going to be registered)
E) when taxing out an Italian Insurance policy
F) to take up employment of any kind (whether internship or paid)
G) to sign contracts with utility companies (gas, electricity, water, internet, phones, mobile phones, etc.)
To obtain your Codice Fiscale:
- Bring your passport or National identity card to the provincial tax office in Florence:
Via Santa Caterina D'Alessandria, 23
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:40 - 12:40; Tuesday and Thursday also 2:20 - 3:40
- Ask for a Codice Fiscale form and take a number from the front desk.
- Fill out the form (personal and address information). The form is all in Italian so bring an Italian dictionary!
- When your number is called on screen, go to the sportello (window) displayed and give them your form.
- They will give you a piece of officially stamped paper with your number (the card will arrive later by mail).